Bats & Battleships is Jason Breen, Chelsea Feneley, Nikki Fitzsummons and Dylan McCrae.

Words

I don't like words. I'm never good with them. They always seem to tangle up on my head, only to worsen as they try and come off the tongue. It feels similar in the context of writing for this band. The connection between my brain and my hand, to the pen and the paper feels like a journey all of its own, not in the epic sense either. It just strains me in many ways.

It's because of this I have felt almost ashamed of having typed up lyrics of my songs. They are jagged, rough melodies that don't translate well on paper, making the words seem even more ridiculous when they are only read, not heard. Still, I have been asked by a few and on more than one occasion to put some up. Who am I to deny?

47°

Glisten,
The sweat on your thigh
It brings me back

Primal,
This heat can't keep me away
A leg parts,
Off to the side
It forces me
Reach out.

This heat
Reels me in.
It reels, me in.

Calloused onto, smooth
Bumps on the thigh
A whimpered call
A deep let sigh

Picked up, thrown down
Saw raw, so real (*sup Buckley?)

French lace, the finest of shackles
Tie me up and keep me here

We lose all of ourselves
We sweat pure instinct
Lucid
Nothing underarm**

*Not actual lyrics
**Recently adapted, so much so Fitzy doesn't know yet.

Hunting The Great White

There's nothing more in sight
There's nothing more I can see
Even the dreams I had when I
Knew not of this beast

There's nothing more in sight
There's nothing more I can see
Only the fire in your eyes
And my future drowned at sea

I have navigated this sinking ship
Across the globe
For the fourth time now

Each time around, I've battled you
Sometimes, being, victorious

But this time, I've waited
And prepared myself

Going to encounter you
One last time.

Baiting you
With precious words
And feelings of security

Wearing you down
Drawing me
In closer

It lends itself
To launching the
Harpoons

It sticks in your neck
Masked as a passionate kiss

Throw across the net
Disguising itself as a warm embrace

Covering your whole, body
Squeezing out the life through your chest

But then it pulls away
Flailing violently
Across the ocean

Ripping me clean off my ship
Seeing it sink behind me
Holding on for dear life
As it pulls me into the deep

I'll throw a couple more songs up soon.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment